Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A day in the life

Yesterday I woke up feeling very groggy and tired. I went to bed the night before with a sugar reading of around 125. I had very weird, vivid dreams (which I wish I could recall so I could post them but maybe it's better I don't!) and remember waking up a couple times feeling strange but didn't check my sugar. When my alarm clock finally managed to wake me up, I decided I should check my sugar and my meter glared back at me.........54. I felt terrible. I had a splitting headache and was so tired I could barely manage to lift myself out of bed. I went down to the kitchen where my husband was drinking his morning coffee and I told him how I felt. He watched as I drank a glass of OJ. I wonder how low it actually dropped that night while I was asleep? I can usually sense when my sugar drops but maybe I was extra tired that night? I don't even remember hitting the snooze button the 8x it takes for it to finally give up on me. I am thinking I should probably sit my alarm clock where I have to actually get out of bed to turn it off. Maybe.......that would be alot of work for how many times I hit that damn button. ha. I didn't go into work until 1pm but felt much better.

Today, I was thinking about my initial reaction when I was told I had diabetes. I remember my vision being very blurry and I was thirsty ALL the time. I was taking Hi-C Juice in a glass filled with ice cubes everywhere I went. Great for the ole sugar but I didn't know what was going on at the time. I made an eye doctor appointment for my eyes. My mother-in-law has type 2 so I was curious of the symptoms. When she told me, I began to get scared. I went home and made a doctor appointment for that night. The doctor was in a rush, as they always seem to be. I told him my symptoms and he checked my sugar with a glucose monitor. He casually said to me, "You have diabetes", like he was telling me I had an ingrown toenail. Since he didn't sound concerned I didn't react. I asked him what my sugar reading was. He said it was 380. I asked what it should be and he said around 100. He left the room. I just sat there in shock not knowing what to think. He came back and handed me some papers that were telling me what to eat and what I shouldn't eat. He told me I had a CHRONIC disease. "What the hell is that?" I asked. "A disease you cannot get rid of. If you don't take care of it, it could cause death." Now I was getting scared. That is all he said. Then he sent me home with these papers and some prescriptions and me thinking I was Type 2. I cancelled my eye doctor appointment. My vision stayed blurry for about two or three weeks after my appointment and medication.

Needless to say, I changed my doctor after that appointment. Doctors just don't take the time with their patients anymore. I used to feel rushed and like I couldn't ask any questions sometimes. My new doctor is much more relaxed and listens and explains things to me. The office wait for him is a little longer but I know it is because he is taking the time with his patients, which is fine with me.

2 comments:

Sandra Miller said...

Wow, Laura.

That late-night low sounds frightening... I'd definitely try moving the alarm clock out of reach. And maybe do some overnight basal testing as well.

Oh, and the doctor who first (mis) diagnosed you-- what a nightmare.

I'm so glad you sought (and now receive) far better care elsewhere.

Rachel Segall said...

It's great that you switched doctors and now go to someone who will take the time and listen to you.

This is one of the biggest problems (and something that has probably screwed me up over the years) -- doctors are focused on the actual physcial body. I've come across a few of these doctors who really don't listen -- they are so smart, yet they don't realize that diabetes is much much more than a physical disease. It's a disease that affects every minute of your waking day. It's not enough to look at some numbers and adjust insulin -- it's really not that easy and I think never black and white.

A friend of my was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. HIs doctor (not an endo) didn't take it seriously. Pretty much he got, well you may be diabetic. I tested his blood and helped to confirm that yea he probably was a type 2 diabetic (blood sugar was still high). I couldn't believe that the doc didn't provide more info or even explain the disease. I did the best I could explaining the disease, but I could only speak from a Type 1 point of view.

After all that ranting, I have to say that I HAVE had a few good doctors over the years. One in particular -- they are out there, you just have to search for them sometimes.