Thursday, January 26, 2006

My Buddy - The Sugar Checker

Well, here I go. Getting ready to walk over to the far-away office to get the daily mail. Actually, I am suppose to walk over twice a day but once is enough for me. I leave my office and walk the, I am guessing, almost 1/4 mile to the mailroom. Let's see.......before I leave do I have my glucose monitor...check - my can of Sprite in case I get stuck in conversation or heaven forbid the building should crash down on my head and I am trapped.....check - how about my cellphone in case I get low sugar and end up in the bathroom and have to call 911 or something.....check - okay...I think I am ready. Everyone knows why I carry all this stuff. It is all like my big security blankie; without even one of those things, my mind starts racing and I am more than likely going to end up with a terrible anxiety attack thinking that, for sure, my blood sugar will go low. Even if when I leave my sugar is fine. I am so used to carrying this stuff around that if I did leave without it, it would be like walking away without my clothes on.

I have forgotten my glucose monitor, or as I like to call it, sugar checker, several times. I have had to treat myself for a low even if I didn't have one because I "felt" like I was having one. Even thinking it is probably just an anxiety attack because I don't have my monitor but treating it as a low anyways. Finally getting my sugar checker, testing and seeing a reading of around 300. "Oh well", I think, "Better to be too high than too low." Which is true at times like that. And I have learned my lesson well because I never forget it anymore. My husband and daughter are always helping by asking if I have it before we leave to go anywhere.

And I have to admit.......something that really grosses out my husband and daughter is when I lick the very small remainder of blood off the tip of my finger after testing and then put the used strip in my monitor case. To me, it is the most convenient thing to do.

I think we all have some funny and maybe not so sanitary diabetes related habits that would probably gross out alot of people! Hmmmmm.......sounds like a fun day at the office.

Quote from my fave sitcom, Scrubs:

Turk: You know, I never get chocolate cake.
Elliot: Oh right, cause your diabetic. Boo Hoo. You know, Turk, if you want sympathy, get a disease you can see!

No comments: