Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Eat at your own risk...

My diabetes hasn't given me anything to post about lately, which I guess is a good thing! I am thinking about switching my Lantus doses into two shots though. I have high numbers in the evening and towards morning which I end up taking more Humalog to cover. If I take 1/2 my dose in the morning, that should carry me through until bedtime, and then if I take the other 1/2 of my dose at bedtime that shoud carry me through morning? Kinda scares me to change anything up. Any advice from those who have done this?

I was reading yesterday about how much easier it is for a person with diabetes to live a more normal lifestyle because of the new insulins and devices we have today. I know that some who have had diabetes for a long time have a hard time grasping the idea that we can eat whatever we want as long as we dose for it. I would never say eat whatever you want, whenever you want but I think that the occasional sweet is a must have. It helps us keep our sanity (LOL) but I also think it actually helps us achieve better control by not making us think that certain foods are taboo. For me, if I think I absolutely cannot have a certain food - I want it more than ever! If I balance my diet and incorporate those foods such as sweets into my diet, I am not stressing out about it. And/or if I finally did get to have it, I wouldn't indulge and eat more than I should! Why can't sweets just be good for us? I want a carb-free chocolate chip cookie invented.

No comments: